Papaya (paw paw) juice alone is the bomb for skin - thanks to its powerful enzymes, but when combined with turmeric powder and aloe vera, its effects leave your skin super-bright and supple. When the papain and chymopapain enzymes in papaya are applied to the skin, it helps to decrease inflammation, reduce acne by removing dead skin cells and unclog pores. Papain is also protein-dissolving which helps remove damaged keratin that can build up on the skin and form small bumps.
Turmeric contains antioxidants (aging’s enemy) and anti-inflammatory components which literally ‘spice’ up your skin bringing out your natural glow.
Aloe Vera contains enzymes, antioxidants, vitamins A, well known for its healing and medicinal properties.
We wanted our mask to help with breakouts and acne, so we also added some bicarb soda because it is an alkaline substance and is helpful managing pH levels. Acne thrives when your pH is high and we want it low, low, low, low, low, low.
This easy to make fruit-spice combo is also said to help remove and prevent unwanted facial hair, when used regularly. Bonus! It may not remove a full beard, but definitely helps reduce that bum fluff that starts to appear around our jaw line as we age - joy! ;)
one teaspoon Turmeric powder
two tablespoon Bi carb soda
two tablespoons Papaya (paw paw)
two tablespoon Aloe vera gel
1. Make a paste using mashed raw papaya (seed-free and make sure you include the juice), two tablespoon of aloe vera gel, one tablespoon of bicarb soda and one teaspoon of turmeric. Leave it to rest for 10 mins.
2. Pull your hair back with a head band to prevent hairs from getting stuck in the mask; it’s quite sticky!
4. It can be a bit messy so over the sink is a good spot for applying.
5. Apply the face mask to freshly cleansed and dried face. You can use a clean makeup, astry brush or fingers. Smear a generous amount allo over your face (it's good for your neck too). To avoid getting it in your eyes, leave a clean space around eye area.
6. Leave mask on for 30 minutes. It will start to dry and feel tight on skin - this is good. Wash off mask using warm water.
7. After patting your face dry with a clean towel, make sure you moisturise your face (using NEEK Vegan Face Moisturiser) to prevent your sebaceous glands (which hydrate skin by producing natural oils) from going into overdrive to make up for the lack of oils.
For best results apply this mask two to three times a week.
your skin may feel tingly and even a little itchy while wearing the mask, and also after you’ve removed it for up to 30 mins after. This is normal and caused by the papain enzymes – they are seriously powerful but effective. If the mask causes any uncomfortable sensations or irritation, remove immediately.
If you have sensitive skin, please patch test mask first. Apply a small amount on your inner forearm and leave for 5-10 mins and look for any signs of irritation. More on patch testing.