At NEEK we are all about multi-tasking products that not only save us time but reduces waste and let us do our bit for the environment.
Exfoliating is an important part of looking after skin as it removes excess skin cells and cleanses pores, which helps reduce breakouts and keeps skin looking healthy and glows. There are two ways to exfoliate your skin – chemical and physical.
Although ‘chemical’ exfoliation sounds, well, chemical, it actually doesn’t have to be! ‘Chemical’ exfoliation can be done using fruit acids, which are natural alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) – just like we use in both our vegan cleanser and vegan face moisturiser. This is actually a very gentle way to exfoliate your skin effectively. The AHAs work to dissolve the bind of the old skin cells on the surface of the skin. There’s no scrubbing involved, and the chemical exfoliant penetrates deeper layers and continues to work after application. (Basically, it’s magic.)
The second option is ‘physical’ exfoliation. This involves using a physical tool, like a scrub with granules, a brush, or microdermabrasion to, physically remove dead skin cells. Although scrubbing your face can feel somewhat satisfying, the abrasiveness of ‘physical’ exfoliation has the potential to damage your skin barrier. This can cause irritation, dryness, and less protection from ageing.
We’ve added some reusable exfoliator mitts to our range to help move makeup and suncream from the skin. Beady scrubs or brushes are usually too rough for our delicate facial skin, so our mitts are made from soft tiny cotton and bamboo microfibres. The microfibres break the surface tension of the oils that bond makeup/grime to the skin, while gentle exfoliating.
MITT TIP (it’s handy to have a few mitts so you can use one while the other is in the wash!)
Why we love them
- Reusable (the ocean will thank you!)
- Chemical and plastic free
- Fully portable (use at home, at the gym, on the plane, or on holiday)
- Used with NEEK Cleanser makes removing makeup easy-peasy with no chemicals and less products.
How to use
- Wash mitt by hand with warm water/soap before first use.
- Wet your mitt with warm water. Add a drop of cleanser.
- Wash your face using slow, gentle, circular motion.
- Rinse cloth with water to remove makeup, dirt, and pollutants.
- Allow cloth to dry before next use.
- Machine wash after a few uses.
For heavy makeup/suncream removal
- Follow steps 1-4 as described above.
- Add another drop of cleanser to your mitt.
- Use gentle, circular motions to remove heavy eye makeup, and light, downward strokes on lashes to remove mascara.
Important care instructions:
A common issue with standard face cloths/washers is that bacteria can breed rapidly in the moist material. Our exfoliator mitts quick drying which means that bacteria has a limited opportunity to grow. This reduces the likelihood of bacteria being transferred back to the face when the cloth is reused, which could result in pimples, irritation etc. So… our mitts can be used several times before being machine washed, so long as they’re put some where they can dry easily between uses.